Sunset Island Tours
Sunset Drinks at the Infamous Fortress Mamula
Discover the ruins and history of Mamula Island as you explore the large inhabited island, which is sure to fascinate. During both World Wars the fortress was used as a prison. In World War II it was on 30th May 1942 was taken over by Italian fascist Benito Mussolini who converted the island into the concentration camp famous for torture and cruelty to prisoners. It has since been used as a set numerous times for horror films.
This historic island is located at the entrance to the Bay, between Lustica and Herceg Novi. About 80% of the island occupies a fortress, which was built in the mid 19th century by Austro-Hungarian general Lazar Mamula, Mamula continues to be an abandoned island completely untouched and raw, a favourite summer getaway for anyone looking for something different and frozen in time. Get lost in time and discover what is hidden behind Mamula’s great walls!
What is the duration?
2 hours, but can be extended to 4 hours with a dinner stop over at The Fishing Village across from the island or Forte Rose in The Captains Village ‘Rose’ on the return journey.
Where does it start?
The tour begins from Tivat – Porto Montenegro – Pier 1. However we are happy to collect you anywhere on the Kotor Bay (extra charges may apply depending on time and distance).
What can I expect?
- 45 minutes Boat Ride along the Lustica/Herceg Novi coastline with views of the WW2 Submarine Caves and Rose – The Old Captains Village
- 45 minute visit to Mamula Island
- Sunset Drinks and photo stop in front of the island
- 45 minutes Night-time cruise and scenic coastline of Herceg Novi back to Tivat
What should I bring?
You might want to bring a light jacket, as the weather gets cooler as the sun sets.
What else can I do?
Go for a walk or stop for dinner in Rose – The Old Captains Village or Ribasko Selo (The Fishing Village) in Zanjice.
What else do I need to know?
Docking on the island is difficult as it remains in a raw state and if you have problems getting on and off the boat, we do not recommend getting off on the island. Depending on the weather we may not be able to doc near Mamula Island, if the weather or tides do not permit. The tour will then be extended to a boat tour and scenic ride around the island and the neighbouring islands. Boating is an active entertainment and there is always a chance you may get wet. We are happy to provide waterproof ponchos if needed.
What is the best time to visit?
Sunset – Recommended departure time from Tivat is 50 minutes before sunset.
- April 6.40pm (Sunset Starts: 7.30pm)
- May 7.10pm (Sunset Starts: 8.00pm)
- June 7.30pm (Sunset Starts: 8.20pm)
- July 7.30pm (Sunset Starts: 8.20pm)
- August 6.55pm (Sunset Starts: 7.45pm)
- September 6.00pm (Sunset Starts: 6.50pm)
- October 5.10pm (Sunset Starts: 6.00pm)
- Tour price depends on number of people and which boat you book. For more info and a quotation please contact us via email or info line.
Included: 2 bottles of local wine or Prosecco, glasses, a traditional cheese and ham plate and/or fruit plate for every two persons and towels upon request.
Not Included: Additional choice of champagne, beer and wine. A full list of champagne, wine or other catering options are available upon request.
If you wish to extend the tour to dinner, it is not included in the price of the tour. Dinner packages are available at selected restaurants upon request.
- Local Guide : 45€ per hour
- Extra waiting time: 35€ per hour
Additional Costs for Extended Tours:
- The Fishing Village or The Captains Village, Rose – there is no additional transfer cost, waiting time is billed at 35€ per hour.
- Admiral Restaurant Stari Grad, Herceg Novi Old Town – Additional transfer cost €70 and waiting time is billed at 35€ per hour.
- Tour Guide: 45€ (1 hour); 60€ (2 hours) 80€ (up to 4 hours - Half Day); 150€ (up to 8 hours - Full Day) – There maybe an additional charge of waiting time or transport cost for the guide if the tour is extended. Please inquire for further information.
Notes: All our tour guides are Local Licensed Guides specializing in the region of Boka Bay and the country of Montenegro.